Register of the Records of the
ANCIENT ORDER OF HIBERNIANS DIVISION 3 (Philadelphia)
The Ancient Order of Hibernians originated as a secret society in Ireland in the late sixteenth century. It was established in the United States in 1836. Now known as the Ancient Order of Hibernians in America, it is a fraternal benefit society open to those who are Irish and Catholic. The order provides insurance benefits to members and undertakes charitable and educational activities.
Division 3 of the Ancient Order of Hibernians was founded in South Philadelphia on 12th Street in 1956. The division no longer exists.
The records were donated in 1991 by Jude Fanning, President of AOH Division 39, who obtained the records from the County Board.
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE
The collection consists of a single volume of minutes and one folder of miscellaneous printed materials. These include bylaws, applications for membership, and a meeting notice from the County Board.
The minutes contain occasional information on financial matters. The brief descriptions are primarily concerned with the planning of activities such as the annual banquet and Saint Patrick's Day parades. The names of officers are listed at the front of the volume, and changes were noted when they occurred.
The box list of the Register of the Records of the Ancient Order of
Hibernians Division 3 (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania) is one page long.