Register of the Records of the
ANCIENT ORDER OF HIBERNIANS DIVISION 46 (Philadelphia)
The Ancient Order of Hibernians originated as a secret society in Ireland in the late sixteenth century. It was established in the United States in 1836. Now known as the Ancient Order of Hibernians in America, it is a fraternal benefit society open to those who are Irish and Catholic. The order provides insurance benefits to members and undertakes charitable and educational activities.
Division 46 of the Ancient Order of Hibernians was founded in Southwest Philadelphia on Greys Ferry Avenue. The life-span of the division is unknown.
The collection was donated in 1991 by Jude Fanning, President of AOH Division 39, who obtained the records from the County Board.
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE
The collection consists of a single dues ledger. Entries are brief, so the volume's primary value may be in comparing membership or dues with other divisions.
The box list of the Register of the Records of the Ancient Order of
Hibernians Division 46 (Philadelphia) is one page long.