Beneficial Society of John Kalvin, Throop, Pennsylvania
Records, 1906-1939. .5 ft. This Hungarian-American beneficial society was dissolved in 1939. The collection includes minutes, a membership list, a ledger, and a dues book. In Hungarian. Register available. Gift of Mrs. Jule Churi.
Photographs, ca. 1900. 4 prints. Various photographs of John Demian working in the machine shops of the G.A. Denzel Co., Philadelphia. Gift of Ethel Demian.
First Hungarian Reformed Church of Cleveland
Records (microfilm), 1891-1944. 1 reel. Records include history of the first twenty years of the congregation and its subdivision, church register, and congregational minutes and books. In Hungarian. Register available. Gift of Timothy Smith.
Gondos, Victor and Robert
Papers, 1880-1978. 3 ft., 1 OS folder. Victor Gondos, a civil engineer, immigrated to the United States with his family in 1911, settling in Chicago. In the 1920s they moved to Reading, Pennsylvania. Gondos joined with his sons Robert and Victor, Jr. in 1930 to form Gondos and
Gondos, an architectural firm headquartered in Philadelphia which built industrial buildings, schools, and hotels. The collection documents personal and professional activities of the family. It includes correspondence, clippings, reports, journals, writings, scrapbooks, uncataloged photographs and related materials. In English and Hungarian. Inventory available. Gift of Robert
Papers, 1897, 1901. 2 items. The Grun family emigrated to the United States in 1905. The collection consists of two birth certificates. In Hungarian. Register available. Gift of Samuel Green.
Hungarian Radio Program
Records, 1983-1991. 4.5 ft. The collection consists of tapes of broadcasts of the Hungarian Radio Program, a half-hour broadcast which aired on Saturdays on WTEL in Philadelphia, 1983-1991. Announcers were Judy Szodfrid and Hugh and Lazlo Kovacs. Transcripts exist for some of the programs. In Hungarian and English. Inventory available. Gift of Jozef Szodfridt.
Philadelphia Hungarian Republican Club
Photograph, 1932. 1 print. Mounted large format, view of banquet.
Philadelphia and Vicinity Hungarian Sports Club
Records, 1977-1978. .5 ft. The Philadelphia and Vicinity Hungarian Sports Club was founded in 1961 to promote sports and cultural activities. The club's records include correspondence, clippings, and miscellaneous printed materials. In English and Hungarian. Inventory available. Gift of Jozsef
Verhovay Betegsegelyzo Eglet, Branch 174, Scranton, Pennsylvania
Records, 1911-1932. 2 volumes. The records of this Hungarian-American beneficial society consist of a minute book and membership records. In Hungarian. Register available. Gift of George Horvath.
Newspaper, 1917-1919, 1924-1925. 3 reels. Published in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, by B.T. Tarkanyi, 1907-1925. "The largest Hungarian weekly in the United States." In Hungarian.
Magyar Hirnok (Magyar Herald)
Newspaper, 1915, 1922-1951. 15 reels. Published weekly in New Brunswick, New Jersey, by Hugo Kornos, 1909-1970. "Oldest, largest independent Magyar publication in this state." In Hungarian and English.
Magyar sz o (Hungarian Press)
Newspaper, 1921-1922. 1 reel. Published weekly in Perth Amboy, New Jersey, by Adalbert Pogany, beginning in 1921. Continues the Perth Amboy Magyar sz o. In Hungarian.
Middlesex Megyei Magyar hirlap (Middlesex County Hungarian News)
Newspaper, 1930. 1 reel. Published weekly in Perth Amboy, New Jersey, by the Middlesex County Hungarian News Publishing Company. In Hungarian.
Perth Amboyi Magyar szo (Perth Amboy Hungarian Press)
Newspaper, 1921. 1 reel. Published weekly in Perth Amboy, New Jersey, by Martin de Puky, 1921. Continued by Magyar szo. In Hungarian.
Philadelphia-i fuggetlenseg (Independence)
Newspaper, 1928-1954. 13 reels. Published weekly in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, by Aurel Aczel, 1923-1954. Separate English sections. Later issues have some columns and advertisements in English. "The only Hungarian newspaper in Philadelphia." In Hungarian.
Return to Table of Contents