American Relief for Poland, Philadelphia Chapter
Records, 1929-1968. 1 ft. The Philadelphia Chapter of American Relief for Poland was founded in 1929. The records consist of correspondence, minutes, financial records, and other materials relating to the chapter's aid to Poland, Polish refugees, and Polish prisoners of war, particularly during World War II. In Polish and English. Register available. Gift of Mrs. Nellie
American Relief for Poland
Photographs, 1950-1960. 7 prints. Officials and group portraits, Pulaski Day parade float; Philadelphia. Gift of the organization.
Associated Polish Home
Records, 1922-1970. 1 ft. The Associated Polish Home was founded in Philadelphia in 1900 as a gathering place for Polish Americans to celebrate holidays, maintain a library, and hold social and cultural events. The collection contains financial records and newsletters. In Polish and English. Inventory available. Gift of Debbie Majka and Mr. and Mrs. Carl
Associated Polish Home
Photographs, n.d. 16 prints. Individual and group portraits of home founders including Polish Red Cross members; Philadelphia. Gift of the organization.
Bodziak, Raymond J.
Photographs, 1920-1950. 57 prints. Bodziak and his father were professional photographers who operated a studio in Port Richmond, Philadelphia. The collection includes family groups and portraits and bridal parties and portraits; Philadelphia. Gift of Raymond J.
De Gurowski, Adam G. (1805-1866)
Correspondence, ca. 1865. 1 item. This letter from a Polish political emigre to Senator Benjamin Wade of Ohio compares voting habits of freed Polish peasants to those of emancipated slaves in the United States. In English. Register available.
Dende, Henry (1918- )
Papers, 1900-1985. 5.5 ft. From 1944 until his retirement in 1983, Henry Dende was publisher and editor of the Polish-American Journal (Scranton, Pennsylvania), a newspaper begun ca. 1911 by his father, John Dende. Both father and son were active in local and national Polish American organizations, and Henry Dende served on the board of directors and later as president of the Polish Union of the United States of North America. The collection contains correspondence, speeches, press releases, political campaign literature, and newspaper clippings which document Henry Dende's activities in the local and national Polish community. Material about the Polish-American Journal includes editor's correspondence, letters to the editor, and press releases sent to the newspaper. The collection also includes a small amount of John Dende material. In English and Polish. Register available. Gift of Henry Dende.
Photographs, 1917-1979. 38 prints. Publicity photographs of Polish and Polish-American historic figures and personalities, religious shrines, public service awards and photographs by L.A. Watres; Chicago, Rhode Island, Denver, Pennsylvania, Japan, and Poland. Gift of Henry Dende.
Gwiazda and Polish Star Publishing Company
Records, 1922-1986. 10.5 ft. Gwiazda, a Philadelphia Polish language newspaper, was founded in 1902 by Stephan Nowaczyck (1869-1923), who had emigrated from Poznan, Prussian Poland. A print shop was soon added, and in 1930 the business was incorporated as the Polish Star Publishing Company. Following Nowaczyck's death, his wife Frances and later his daughter Gertrude served as publisher until the paper ceased publication in 1985. Initially the official organ of the Polish Beneficial Association, it became the organ of the Union of Polish Women in America when Frances Nowaczyck became publisher. The records include correspondence, financial records, press releases, newspaper clippings, and job orders. The collection is strongest on the corporation's business activities, although it provides some information on local Polish-American issues. In Polish and English. Register available. Gift of Gertrude Nowaczyck.
Gwiazda and Polish Star Publishing Company
Photographs, 1948-1975. 316 prints. The Nowaczyck family and their employees, popular entertainers and politicans, sights and events in Philadelphia, and the composing room of Gwiazda; Philadelphia and Poland. Gift of Gertrude Nowaczyck.
Jagellonian Law Society
Records, 1983-1990. 4 folders. The Jagellonian Law Society was formed in Philadelphia in 1983 as a professional and social group for lawyers of Polish ancestry. The collection contains bylaws, minutes, correspondence, newsletters, and membership materials. In English and Polish. Inventory available. Gift of the organization
Manuscript, ca. 1976. 1 folder. This collection contains materials collected by Kalinowski regarding jokes about Poles on national television, bound as a report. The bulk of the manuscript consists of letters written by Kalinowski describing and complaining about the broadcasts. In English. Register available. Separated from Henry Dende Papers.
Nagorski, Zygmunt (1884-1973)
Papers, 1920-1970. 5 ft. Zygmunt Nagorski was a Polish government administrator, scholar, and lawyer who was a member of the government-in-exile in London during World War II. He emigrated to the United States in 1951, where he practiced law and served as an officer of the Polish Institute for Arts and Sciences in New York City. The collection contains correspondence, speeches, legal documents, and minutes which primarily document his postwar professional and personal activities. In Polish. Register available. Gift of Zygmunt
Photographs, 1940-1960. 37 prints. Family portraits, informal photos of officers and the Polish government-in-exile, Adam Mickiewicz Centenary celebration; London and New York. Gift of Zygmunt Nagorski, Jr.
Pluta, Bronislaw (1894-1966)
Papers, 1931-1988. 5 ft. Bronislaw Pluta was born in Niewodna, in the Galician area of Poland. He came to the United States in 1904, settling with his widowed mother in Philadelphia where he worked for Gwiazda, a Polish language newspaper. He was later president of Jednosc Publishing Company, which published Jednosc, a Polish-language weekly, between 1925-1963. The collection includes correspondence, printed materials, autobiographical materials on
Pluta, and miscellaneous notes and translations of newspaper articles from Jednosc. In Polish and English. Inventory available. Gift of Mary
Polish American Citizens Club of Frankford
Records, 1898-1982. 2.5 ft. In 1915, the Harmonia Singing Society (an all-male Polish choral group) merged with the Towarzystwo
Oswiata, a local Polish American library society in the Bridesburg/Frankford area of Philadelphia. The new organization was renamed the Polish-American Citizens Harmonia-Oswiata Club (or the Polish-American Citizens Club of Frankford,
Harmonia-Oswiata). In the years after World War I and World War II, club members honored local war dead and helped to fund passages of displaced Poles to the United States. The yearly Benefical Association of the organization also provided members with sickness and death benefits. Though centered largely around promoting Polish patriotism and providing service to the community, the Harmonia-Oswiata Club has sponsored numerous social engagements as well, such as dances and banquets. The collection consists of meeting minutes, a club inventory list, income and expense logs, dues ledgers, the Yearly Beneficial Association log, Bridesburg Rod and Gun Club income and expense log, and numerous other articles including ten handwritten copies of sheet music, a catalog of the library's book collection, and various printed materials. In Polish and English. Gift of the Organization
Polish American Citizens Club of Frankford
Photograph, n.d. 1 print. The single black and white photograph of the Harmonia Band is undated. Gift of the Organization.
Polish American Congress, Lower Anthracite District of Pennsylvania
Records, 1945-1953. 1 folder, 2 volumes. The Polish American Congress is a political, cultural, and social organization open to people of Polish descent. Founded in 1944, its major purpose is to promote the Polish image and culture in the United States, to support independence for the people of Poland, and to sponsor social and cultural activities. The Lower Anthracite District of Pennsylvania was founded in 1945 and includes Schuylkill, Carbon, and North Cumberland counties. The collection includes minutes, income and expense books, receipts, correspondence, and list of dues received. In English and Polish. Register available. Gift of Eleonore Kolasheski.
Polish American Political Club, Lansford, Pennsylvania
Records, 1935. 1 item. The organization provided financial and other support for political interests. The club also helped Poles obtain United States citizenship. The collection contains a constitution. In Polish. Register available. Gift of Walter
Polish Beneficial Association
Records, 1899-1975. 8 ft. The Polish Beneficial Association was founded in December 1899 at Saint John Cantius Roman Catholic Church in the Bridesburg section of Philadelphia by three laymen and two priests: Francis
Jaskowiak, Julian Wessel, Francis Chwieroth, Marian Kopytkiewicz of Saint John
Cantius, and Gabriel Kraus of Saint Laurentius Parish. This association was to fill the growing need for an insurance and fraternal organization to serve the increasing number of Poles in the Philadelphia area. Membership came to include Greek Orthodox Slavs and Lithuanians. This collection consists primarily of bound volumes detailing regular and group assessments and death payments to beneficiaries. Minutes (written in Polish) are available only for the years 1918 and 1958. Non-bound materials include tax data, various Association bulletins, notices, and stationery. In Polish and English. Gift of Ann
Teska, Administrative Secretary of the Polish Beneficial Association
Polish Falcon Society, Branch 13
Records, 1919-1982. 2 folders. This society was a local organization not connected to the Polish Falcons of America. It provided financial aid to disabled and sick members. The collection contains the constitution, an income and expense book, and a newspaper advertisement. In Polish and English. Register available. Gift of Walter Bydlon.
Polish Heritage Association of Maryland, Inc.
Papers, 1974-1975. 1 folder. The collection contains the association bylaws, newsletters, and related ephemera. In English. Register available. Gift of the organization.
Polish National Alliance of the United States of North America
The alliance is a national fraternal benefit organization for men, women, and children of Polish, Lithuanian, Ruthenian, or Slovak descent or affiliation. Founded in 1880, the society promotes and seeks to restore and preserve Polish independence. It also conducts fraternal, educational, charitable and life insurance programs. The society is headquartered in Chicago.
Records, 1971. 1 folder. This collection of records contains a dance program and a Father's Day greeting. In English. Register available. Gift of Charlotte Nowicki.
Council 90, Shamokin, Pennsylvania
Records, 1953-1963. 2 folders. The collection consists of minutes. In English and Polish. Register available. Gift of Eleonore
Group 484, Plymouth, Pennsylvania
Records, 1923-1954. 2 volumes. The collection consists of minutes. In Polish. Register available. Gift of Albert
Group 547, Plymouth, Pennsylvania
Records, 1936-1983. 1 volume. The collection consists of minutes. In English and Polish. Register available. Gift of Albert
Group 660, East Plymouth, Pennsylvania
Records, 1932-1951. 1 volume, 1 folder. The collection consists of minutes. In English and Polish. Register available. Gift of the organization.
Group 2180, SS. Peter and Paul Lodge, Palmerton, Pennsylvania
Records, 1921-1955. 2 ft. The collection contains financial and membership records. In Polish and English. Register available. Gift of Mary
Branch 2180, Palmerton, Pennsylvania
Photograph, ca. 1933. 1 print. Group portrait of branch members; Palmerton, Pennsylvania. Gift of Mary
Women's District 7, Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
Records, 1980-1982. 1 folder. The collection consists of minutes. In Polish. Register available. Gift of Helen Okrashinski.
Polish Union of the United States of North America
Records, 1906-1984. 192 ft. The Polish Union of the United States of North America is a national fraternal benefit society founded in 1890 and headquartered in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. It provides life insurance and offers scholarship loans to its members. The collection represents the union's national office records and includes death claim records, cash surrender records, juvenile division records, and endowment matured records. Two volumes of minutes and materials originally interleaved with the minutes, including programs and a jubilee book, and some of the death claims, are present in microfilm. In Polish and English. Inventory available. Gift of the organization.
Polish Union of the United States of North America
Photographs, 1921-1946. 2 prints. Group portraits of convention delegates; Pittsburgh and Trenton. Gift of the organization.
Records, 1982-1991. 3 ft. The Polish-American Journal began appearing in 1948, published by Henry Dende as a successor to the Polish-language newspaper Republika Gornik. Dende published and edited the paper in English until 1983, when he sold it to a firm in Buffalo, New York. The paper has been the official organ of the Polish Beneficial Association, the Polish National Alliance of Brooklyn, and other Polish fraternal organizations. The collection consists of correspondence, clippings, and other materials related to the journal's feature "newsclippers" from the files of the paper's current editor. For related materials, see the Henry Dende Papers. In Polish and English. Inventory available. Gift of Mark Kohan.
Polish Association of the State of Ohio (Alliance of Poles)
Records (microfilm), 1907-1930. 1 reel. The collection contains Central Board and convention minutes. In Polish. Register available. Gift of Timothy Smith.
Papers, 1926-1982. 1 ft. Walter Pytko is a second-generation Polish American. He founded the Polish American Citizens League in 1925, and became active in Philadelphia politics in the 1920s. He served in the Pennsylvania state legislature and Philadelphia City Council, and was Commissioner of Licenses and Inspections under Mayor Joseph Clark. He has been active in the Polish Beneficial Association, serving as treasurer (1928-1942) and president (1942-1960). The collection includes correspondence, photocopies and originals of clippings concerning Pytko's political career, an uncataloged photograph, and audiotapes of interviews with Pytko conducted by historian Harry
Silcox, and by Balch Institute staff. In English. Inventory available. Gift of Walter Pytko.
Radio Station WHOM
Photograph, ca. 1942. 1 print. Photo of people honored for selling war bonds for the liberation of Poland. Postcard format. Gift of Stanley Cuba.
Photograph, 1939. 1 print. Liga Morska Amerika presentation; Poland. Gift of John
St. John the Baptist Polish Roman Catholic Church, East Plymouth, Pennsylvania
Records, 1912-1941. 1 volume. The volume contains minutes. In Polish. Register available. Gift of John
St. Mary's Polish National Catholic Church
Records, 1930-1984. 1 folder. St. Mary's Parish of Duryea, Pennsylvania was organized by Bishop Francis Hodur in 1898. Its charter was approved in 1899. The collection contains correspondence, flyers, pamphlets, clippings, and miscellaneous materials. In English. Register available. Gift of Rev. Czeslaw
St. Mary's Polish National Catholic Church
Photographs, 1982-1983. 10 prints. Group portraits of church members and church building; Duryea, Pennsylvania. Gift of Rev. Czeslaw
Zazyzcny, Joseph (1935- )
Papers, 1930-1990. 2.5 ft. Joseph Zazyczny was born in Philadelphia and educated in Philadelphia and Colorado. He was elected to Philadelphia City Council in 1967 and has held several positions in state and local government. He has been active in the American Council for Polish Culture, the Polish American Citizens League of Pennsylvania, the Polish Intercollegiate Club, the Polish American Congress, and was a founder and president of the Polish Heritage Society. The collection includes correspondence, printed materials, clippings, blueprints, and uncataloged photographs and negatives. In English and Polish. Register available. Gift of Joseph Zazyczny.
Photographs, 1910-1960. 36 prints. Family portraits and groups, business place, ceremonies, festivals and other activities; Poland and Philadelphia. Gift of Julie and George Zwolak.
Newspaper, 1921-1929, 1931-1971. 26 reels. Published weekly in Brooklyn, New York by the Czas Publishing Company, 1905-1976. The official organ of the Polish National Alliance of Brooklyn. In Polish.
Dziennik Zjednoczenia, City Edition
Newspaper, 1921-1939. 80 reels. Published daily in Chicago, Illinois by Dziennik Zjednoczenia Publishing Co. Organ of Polish Roman Catholic Union of America. In Polish and English.
Dziennik Zjednoczenia, Country Edition
Newspaper, 1922-1927. 5 reels. Published daily in Chicago, Illinois, by Polish Roman Catholic Union of America. In Polish.
Dziennik Zwiazkowy (Polish Daily Zgoda)
Newspaper, 1908-1971. 345 reels. Published daily in Chicago, Illinois by the Polish National Alliance, 1908-1933, by Alliance Printers and Publishers, 1934. In Polish.
Glos Polek (Polish Women's Voice)
Newspaper, 1902-1903, 1910-1973. 26 reels. Published semi-monthly in Chicago, Illinois by the Polish Women's Alliance of America. In Polish and English.
Newspaper, 1902, 1912-1919, 1970-1985. 9 reels. Published weekly in Philadelphia. Later issues have some columns in English. Official organ of the Polish American Citizens League of Pennsylvania, Polish Beneficial Association of St. John Cantius, Union of Polish Women in America. In Polish.
Newspaper, 1916. 1 reel. Published weekly in Stevens Point, Wisconsin by J. Worzalla's Sons, beginning in 1908. In Polish and English.
Newspaper, 1929-1963. 12 reels. Published weekly in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania by Bronislaw S. Pluta, 1911-1963. Official organ of the Polish Beneficial Organization of St. John Cantius. Some columns and advertisements in English. In Polish.
Jutrzenka (Morning Star)
Newspaper, 1893-1894. Partial reel. Published weekly in Cleveland, Ohio by Polish Publishing Company, 1893-94, Mutrzenka Publishing Company, 1894-98, A. Wielowiejski, 1833-1925. An independent newspaper supporting the independent Polish church in America. In Polish.
Narod Polski (Polish Nation)
Newspaper, 1897-1971. 40 reels. Published semimonthly in Chicago, Illinois by the Polish Roman Catholic Union, beginning in 1897. Official organ of the Polish Roman Catholic Union. In Polish.
Newspaper, 1939-1943. 12 reels. Published daily in Milwaukee, Wisconsin by the Nowiny Publishing Company, 1906-1949. In Polish and English.
Newspaper, 1887-1889. 1 reel. Published weekly in New York City by Antoni Lewandowski. "Tygodnik Spoelczny i Literacki, Wlasnosc Towarzystwa Akcyjnego." Some partial notices in English. In Polish.
Newspaper, 1929-1930. 1 reel. Published weekly in Detroit, Michigan by the Trybuna Codzienna Publishing Company, 1914-17, then Ognisko Domowe Publishing Company, 1918-32. Official organ of the Polish Roman Catholic Union in the United States. In Polish.
Newspaper, 1927-1953, 1954. 11 reels. Published weekly in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania by T. Wasowicz, 1889-1955. "The oldest Polish newspaper in Eastern states." Later issues have some advertisements in English. Organ of the Polish Home Association and the Pulaski Beneficial Society. Organ of the first Polish Corps during World War I. In Polish.
Pol-Am Journal (Association of the Sons of Poland)
Newspaper, 1982-1988. 1 reel. Published monthly in Scranton, Pennsylvania (1982) and Buffalo, New York beginning in 1984, in various editions. Official organ of the Association of the Sons of Poland located in Jersey City, New Jersey.
Pol-Am Journal (Chicago Edition)
Newspaper, 1972, 1973, 1974-1982. 1 reel. Published monthly in Scranton, Pennsylvania (1972-1982) and Buffalo, New York (1984) in various editions. Continues Polish American Journal (Chicago Edition).
Pol-Am Journal (National Edition)
Newspaper, 1972. Partial reel. Published monthly in Scranton, Pennsylvania, 1972-1984 in various editions. Continues Polish American Journal. "Serving 12 million Americans of Polish descent."
Pol-Am Journal (Polish National Alliance of Brooklyn, USA)
Newspaper, 1975-1988. 2 reels. Published monthly in Scranton, Pennsylvania in various editions (1975-1982), and Buffalo, New York (1984).
Polish American Journal
Newspaper, 1948-1962, 1963-1972. 10 reels. Published weekly in Scranton, Pennsylvania, by Dende Press, 1948-1972. Title serves Lackawanna and Luzerne counties. Published in numerous editions. Some advertisements and columns in Polish. Continues Republika-gornik Pensylwanski. In English.
Polonia w Ameryce
Newspaper, 1905. 1 reel. Published weekly in Cleveland, Ohio, by T. Dluzynski, 1891-1923. In Polish.
Republika-Gornik Pensylw anski
Newspaper, 1919, 1922-1948. 10 reels. Published weekly in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania by Ignace Haduch, 1919-1948. Formed by the union of Gornik Pensylwanski, and Republika. Continued by the Polish American Journal. Served Lackawanna and Luzerne counties. Later issues have columns and advertisements in English. In Polish.
Newspaper, Polish, 1910-1972. 24 reels. Published weekly in New York City, beginning in 1909. Official organ of the Polish Falcons Alliance of North America. In Polish.
Newspaper, Polish, 1897-1898, 1900-1907, 1910, 1913, 1917, 1919-1937, 1966, 1968-1980, 1982, 1983, 10 reels. Published weekly in Scranton, Pennsylvania, by the Rev. Fr. Hodur, beginning in 1897. In Polish and English after 1966. Issuing body after 1930, Polski-Narodowa Spojnia. In Polish.
Wiara i ojczyzna
Newspaper, Polish, 1896. 2 reels. Published weekly in Chicago, Illinois by the Polish Roman Catholic Union of America. In Polish.
Newspaper, Polish, 1887-1953. 32 reels. Published semimonthly in Milwaukee, Wisconsin by the Polish National Alliance of the United States, beginning in 1881. Official publication of the Polish National Alliance of the United States. In English and Polish.
Return to Table of Contents