St. David's Church (Radnor, Pa.) records

Collection 1478

circa 1706-2008
(15.0 Linear feet ; 30 boxes, 34 volumes, 15 flat files)

Summary Information

The Historical Society of Pennsylvania
St. David's Church (Radnor, Pa.).
St. David's Church (Radnor, Pa.) records
circa 1706-2008
15.0 Linear feet ; 30 boxes, 34 volumes, 15 flat files
Finding aid prepared by Joanne Danifo.
Processing made possible by generous donations from St. David's Church.
Mixed materials [Box]
Mixed materials [Oversize]
Mixed materials [Volume]
The cornerstone for St. David’s Church was laid in 1715 by a group of Welsh settlers in what is currently Radnor Township. During the Revolutionary War, the parish faced turmoil and the absence of a minister for the parishioners. By 1788, the parish once again had leadership, and in 1792, Reverend William Currie incorporated the parish and drew up a charter. The parish continued to grow as railroad lines brought urban dwellers to areas like Radnor that surrounded Philadelphia. For the next century, the parish would erect buildings to accommodate its constituency, providing the parishioners with a new rectory, chapel, parish house, and education building. Currently, the church attends to the religious needs of over one thousand families and holds many events, including an annual fair and auction. The records of St. David’s Church span from 1706 to 2006 and offer insight into the activities of the parishioners and history of the church in Radnor, Pennsylvania. This collection consists of meeting minutes, correspondence, clergy profiles, sermons, histories of the parish, publications, and a variety of images of the church and events. The majority of the records relate to the various church committees, especially the vestry committee, and the sermons of Reverend Thomas G. Clemson.

Preferred Citation note

Cite as: [Indicate cited series or item here], St. David’s Church (Radnor, Pa.) Records (Collection 1478), The Historical Society of Pennsylvania.

Return to Table of Contents »

Biographical/Historical note

At the end of the seventeenth century, Welsh settlers had begun to settle the land in what is now Radnor, Pennsylvania. These Welsh settlers were followers of the Church of England and were left without a minister to lead them in services. On September 2, 1700, the first service of the parish was led by a missionary named William Davis, who was sent by the Society for Propagating the Gospel in Foreign Parts. When he returned to England, the community petitioned the Society for a Welsh-speaking minister and religious books. Reverend John Clubb was appointed the missionary to Radnor Oxford and the cornerstone for the church was laid May 9, 1715.

The parish experienced internal strife several decades after its founding when war broke out between the colonies and England. The pastor at the time was Reverend William Currie, who felt compelled to follow the doctrine of the Church of England even as his parishioners, including his sons and General Anthony Wayne, took up arms against England. He soon found he was unable to ignore the opposition of even his family members, and Currie resigned in 1776.

St. David’s Church found itself without a minister during the Revolutionary War. By 1788, Reverend Slator Clay was the pastor of St. David’s Church as well as St. Peter’s Church and St. James’ Church. Clay also sought the incorporation of the parish and drew up a charter in 1792.

The parish continued to grow as it entered the nineteenth century, and the parish’s first school was established in 1820; this was also the first year for confirmation services conducted by Bishop William White. Then in the 1830s, the expanding railroads changes the make-up of the parish. More urban parishioners were now able to attend services at St. David’s Church, so a new rectory was built in 1844, making this the first addition to the parish structures since the establishment of the church.

In 1924, a parish house with room for the school was added to the church grounds, and then enlarged in 1950. The construction done in 1950 occurred during the tenure of Reverend John Knewstub, who served as rector of St. David’s Church until 1966. Following the construction of the parish house, a chapel and the Knewstub building (an education facility) were erected in 1956 and 1965, respectively. 1965 was the same year that the parish celebrated its 250th anniversary, which included a visit from the bishop of St. David’s Church in Wales. Currently St. David’s parishioners number over one thousand families.

Return to Table of Contents »

Scope and Contents note

The records of St. David’s Church span three hundred years, from 1706 to 2006, with some materials lacking dates. The bulk of the collection dates to the late twentieth century. The records offer insight into the activities of the parishioners, the responsibilities of the different parish committees and groups (e.g., the vestry), the tenures of the clergy persons, and the history of the church. The records have been divided into four series – Administration,   Parish history,  Sermons of Thomas G. Clemson, and  Printed materials and images. The majority of the collection can be found in the administration series and the smallest amount of materials is found in the parish history series. The collection totals thirty boxes, with the originally- processed portion in Boxes 1 to 22 and recently-proccessed additions in Boxes 23 to 30; thirty-four volumes; and fifteen flat files.

The first series, Administration, is comprised of six subseries (  Registers;  Vestry committee;  Other committees;  Financial and legal;  Clergy files;  Miscellaneous) and spans 1706 to 2005. It represents the largest and most comprehensive series in the collection. The registers encompass the parish’s service records, registers of the different ceremonies performed at the church (e.g., marriages, baptisms), and guest registers, which contain visitor information. The vestry committee records as well as the third subseries of other committees are comprised mainly of meeting minutes and a small amount of correspondence. The fourth subseries in  Administration consists of a small amount of financial and legal papers pertaining to the church. The fifth subseries,  Clergy files, is a record of many of the clergy persons who have held positions at St. David’s Church for three centuries. The files are in alphabetical order according to clergy person and the materials and biographies appear to have been compiled around 2002. The last subseries contains miscellaneous items including architectural papers, correspondence, and donations and memorials for the church.

Books, other printed materials, and notes on the history of St. David’s Church have been placed in the second series, Parish history. Two figures are represented among these materials, Francis James Dallett, and Henry Pleasants, both of whom compiled notes on the history of the church and published works about St. David’s. Of note is Dallett’s research concerning Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, who wrote a poem about his visit to the church in the nineteenth century. The papers concerning several parish anniversary celebrations have been placed in this series.

The third series, Sermons of Thomas G. Clemson, is comprised of five boxes of Clemson’s sermons mainly from 1859 to 1881 and several letters from the late twentieth century discussing his sermons. There are a group of sermons that are in poor condition and, since they need further repairs, are not available for research at this time.

Printed materials and images consists mainly of the publications of St. David’s Church – The Record,  Newsletter, and  The Dove. There is also a great number of photographs in this series, mostly of the exterior and interior of the church from the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. A scrapbook containing pictures of the church and articles about the church created by Francis James Dallett in 1978 has been placed in this series. Other pictures in this series are scanned photographs from parish events. Most of the materials in this collection, including vestry minutes, the publications, photographs, donations and memorials information, and the clergy files, have been saved to compact discs (Boxes 22 and 30). Many of these CDs were most likely created in 2002 in preparation for the donation of some materials to the Historical Society of Pennsylvania by a parish committee. They have been placed in this series.

Return to Table of Contents »

Overview of arrangement

Series I. Administration, ca. 1706-2005

a. Registers, ca. 1706-2001

b. Vestry Committee, 1737-2005, undated

c. Other committees, 1713-2005, undated

d. Financial and legal, 1791-2004, undated

e. Clergy Files, [1714]-2005, undated

f. Miscellaneous, 1871-2003, undated

Series II. Parish history, ca. 1740-2003, undated

Series III. Sermons of Rev. Thomas G. Clemson, 1821-2001

Series IV. Printed materials and images, ca. 1811-2006, undated

Return to Table of Contents »

Administrative Information

Publication Information

 The Historical Society of Pennsylvania , 2007.

1300 Locust Street
Philadelphia, PA, 19107

Revision Description

 Finding aid revised to include new additions to collection and entered into Archivists' Toolkit by Cary Majewicz  , June 2011.

Conditions Governing Access note

The collection is open for research.


Early records dating from 1705-1961 were deposited by St. David's Church in 1947 and 1961. Remaining records are gifts of of the church, c/o John Montgomery, 2001-2010.

Accession numbers: 010402.10, 2004.035, 2005.113, 2006.048, 2010.064

Processing Information note

Box 21 contains sermons from Series 3 that are still in need of extensive conservation and are not serviceable to researchers.

Return to Table of Contents »

Related Materials

Related Archival Materials note

At the Historical Society of Pennsylvania:

Francis J. Dallett Papers. Collection 3046.

Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts Papers. Collection 1086.

St. David's Church, Radnor PA, records, 1706-1895 [transcriptions] (call number De2E)

Transcriptions of St. David's records, 1706-1895, on microfilm (number XCh 562)

Correspondence relating to St. David's Church, Radnor, Pennsylvania (call number GEN Z36)

Return to Table of Contents »

Controlled Access Headings

Corporate Name(s)

  • Episcopal Church – Clergy.
  • Episcopal Church – Pennsylvania.
  • Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts (Great Britain).
  • St. David’s Church (Radnor, Pa.) - History .
  • St. David’s Church (Radnor, Pa.) – Anniversaries, etc.
  • St. David’s Church (Radnor, Pa.) – Articles of incorporation.
  • St. David’s Church (Radnor, Pa.) – By-laws.
  • St. David’s Church (Radnor, Pa.) – In literature.

Geographic Name(s)

  • Pennsylvania – Religion – 18th century.
  • Pennsylvania – Religion – 19th century.
  • Pennsylvania – Religion – 20th century.
  • Pennsylvania – Religious life and customs.
  • Radnor (Pa.) – History.
  • Wayne (Pa.).

Personal Name(s)

  • Clemson, Thomas G. (Episcopalian minister).
  • Dallett, Francis James, 1927-.
  • Hughes, Griffith, b. 1706 or 1707.
  • Longfellow, Henry Wadsworth, 1807-1882.
  • Pleasants, Henry.
  • Wayne, Anthony, 1745-1796.


  • Cemeteries – Pennsylvania.
  • Church bulletins.
  • Church records and registers—Pennsylvania.
  • Church – Anniversaries, etc.
  • Church – Archives.
  • Church – Articles of Incorporation.
  • Church – By-laws.
  • Church – Registers.
  • Episcopalians – Sermons.
  • Episcopalians – Social life and customs.
  • Marriage records – Pennsylvania.
  • Registers of births, etc. – Pennsylvania.
  • Religious architecture – 19th century.
  • Religious architecture – 20th century.
  • Selling cemetery lots – 20th century.
  • Vestry papers.
  • Welsh Americans – Pennsylvania.

Return to Table of Contents »


St. David’s Church,, (Visited 9 July 2007).

Return to Table of Contents »

Collection Inventory

 Series 1:  Administration (circa 1706-2005) 

1-10, 23-27

 Subseries a: Registers (circa 1706-2007) 

Subseries description

The Service Record books provide the following information: date of service, time, number of people in attendance, nature of service (Holy Communion, Children’s service litany, Sunday school), officiating clergy, and monetary offering total. Whether the service took place in the chapel or the church was also noted. Frequently remarks were made about the weather conditions the day of the service. Volume 2 has the combination for a safe on the inside front cover. In Volume 4, a confirmation service and font dedication are noted.

In the marriage registers, the church documented the marriage ceremonies in chronological order and each volume contains an index. Both the name of the groom and the bride are indexed in the front of each register offering the page with their marriage record. Each marriage record includes the name of the bride, groom, and their parents; the ages and residences of the bride and groom; whether the parties were widowed at the time of the marriage; and the signatures of the witnesses to the ceremony and the officiating minister. Often, the marriage license number is noted at the top of the page as well as the county in which it was obtained. Also, the location of the wedding was noted if the ceremony did not take place at St. David’s Church. Two other documents relating to marriages in the parish are a note certifying the marriage of Elizabeth Lewis and Thomas Gibson on May 18, 1741, and a list of marriage licenses on file at St. David’s Church as of February 5, 1952. This list documents the names of the licensees, the date of their marriage, and the county in which it occurred.

A visitor signed his or her name and provided the day of the visit and hometown in the guest registers (volumes 19-23). Sometimes there was a space to indicate who introduced the visitor to the church. The guest register from 1982 to 1991, which has been removed from its binder and foldered, consists of the visitors’ names, home address, date they visited the church, and general comments. Examples of some comments were that the church was a “peaceful place,” “impressive,” and “quietly inviting.” The guest registers span from 1926 to 1991 with few gaps in the record.

The parish register combines the lists of communicants, baptisms, marriages, confirmations, and burials into one volume with an index of names. The communicants section of the book provides the date one entered the church and notes concerning marriages and deaths. The baptism section consists of the name of the baptized person; birth date; location of birth; baptismal date; gender; the names of his or her parents; the names of the sponsors; and the officiating minister. Besides noting the date of the ceremony, the confirmation section provides the name of the officiating bishop. The marriage section has the same information that is provided in the previously mentioned marriage registers. The location of interment; cause of death; date of death; and minister are listed in the burial section of this volume.

The register of communicants (Volume 25) contains the same information as the communicants section of the parish register. This includes the name of the communicant, date received, how and when received, and memoranda. The volume has a name index.

A record book (Volume 26) has been placed in this series, which contains some of the earliest information about the church in this collection. With information dating to about 1706, this volume consists of various meeting minutes (e.g. vestry, congregation, Society for Propagating the Gospel); birth dates of parishioners including various members of the Morgan family; subscription (frequently for pews) and debt payments received by the church. The vestry men often settled disputes arising from the purchase of land for pews. In 1747, brothers Isaac and Francis Wayne each laid claim to a pew location belonging to the late Anthony Wayne (most likely the grandfather of Revolutionary general Anthony Wayne) and John Hunter. Eventually the matter was settled and each brother received part of the land on which the pew was located. There are also records of payments made for building maintenance – “settled with Samuel Pugh for his mason work at the church wall and horse block.” The church’s article of incorporation dated July 24, 1791 has also been recorded in this volume. Volume 27 is a photocopy of this Volume 26.

Volume 28, the rector’s record, contains a combination of the records previously mentioned. The parish’s baptisms, marriages, and burials were recorded in this volume. Of note in this volume is 1903 correspondence between former pastor Thomas Yocom and J.H. Lamb in which Yocom informed Lamb of a mistake in an entry for a marriage from 1861.

The parish directories (membership list in 1956) are alphabetical listings of the clergy and parishioners of St. David’s Church and were mostly given to the people in the parish. In the earlier directories, the parishioners’ street addresses and phone numbers are listed, but by 1989 the directories took the form of a photo album. Parishioners submitted pictures of their families to be placed in the directory with captions identifying those pictured without giving further personal information.

1, 26

Service record books (2 June 1918-April 1963) 

Box Folder

Item removed from Volume 3 (18 February 1857) 

1 1

Registers of service (17 June 1966-23 November 1997) 

Box Folder

Items removed from Volume 8 (undated) 

1 2

Item removed from Volume 9 (December 1983) 

1 3

Item removed from Volume 10 (circa 1985) 

1 4

Marriage registers (15 November 1941-4 August 1984) 

Volume Box Folder

Guest registers (25 July 1926-28 December 1991)   Registers dated 1982-1991 are in Box 16, Folders 27-28.

19-23 16 27-28

Parish register (1937-1953) 

Box Folder

Items removed from Volume 24 (1939-1941) 

1 5

Register of communicants (1 January 1919-31 December 1977) 


Record book (and copy) (circa 1709-1819) 

Box Folder

Item removed from Volume 27 (circa 1788) 

1 6

Rector's record (1833-1900) 

Box Folder

Membership list (1956) 

1 7

Parish directories (1975-2007) [some years missing] 

    Box Folder
Mixed materials   1 8-16
    Box Folder
Mixed materials   26 1-3

Box Folder

Marriage certificate note for Thomas Gibson and Elizabeth Lewis (circa 1741) 

1 17

Marriage licenses & transfer parishioners (1952) 

1 18

 Subseries b:  Vestry Committee (1737-2005) 

Subseries description

The Vestry Committee consists of about 12 members of the parish and has an administrative role in the parish as set forth in the act of incorporation from March 22, 1951. For example, the members tended to church business in the absence of the rector. The Vestry Committee of St. David’s Church held its meetings in several locations, including the vestry room (main location), the racquet club, and the parish house. This subseries is comprised mainly of the committee’s meeting minutes. The earlier minutes (volumes 29-30) represent a small portion of the vestry records in this collection. The 1902 meeting minutes are a memorial to the late rector George Alexander Kellor.

From the 1940s to the 1960s, the committee was concerned with a variety of activities in the parish. Meetings were held about every two months and the rector’s report and warden’s report were read aloud. The warden was the financial officer and his report offered information about the incomes and expenditures for the parish’s graveyard accounts, memorial parish house, and missions. There were also Real Estate and Finance committees within the Vestry Committee. The former oversaw the sextons and the church grounds.

Events of note in the meeting minutes of this time period, include the retirement letter of Reverend Crosswell McBee (April 2, 1945) and discussion of his successor (June 1, 1945) and the planning of the parish’s 250th anniversary. The April 1957 minutes shed light on the different people involved with the vestry – secretaries, treasurer, sexton (who was a salaried employee), organist, choirmaster, Real Estate, Finance, and Audit committees, and delegates to diocesan convention. Also mixed throughout the meeting minutes are the annual congregation meeting minutes; “regulations governing the sale, use, and care of burial lots;” and a large amount of financial information, such as operating account information (see 1.d. for further financial information). The 1966 minutes note Rector Reverend Knewstub’s death and the parish’s attempt to aid his family, which was in debt after his death (June-July 1966).

Starting in the 1970s, meeting minutes discuss the endowment; the establishment of a “St. David’s memorial fund” to care for the “grounds and buildings with priority given to the old church and graveyard” (1973); the nursery school’s enrollment; outside projects (e.g., daycares, blood drives); building of a new rectory, school building, and chapel; the addition of an atrium room to the Knewstub Building; the establishment of the “every member visitation” committee, which was charged with block collections for the church; and profiles of different commissions within the vestry. These committees included: Worship (people involved in services-acolytes, music), Fellowship (men and women’s fellowships, coffee hour, fair committee), Youth, and Christian Education (people in charge of getting speakers, organizing dinners, prayer group).

The correspondence of various members of the Vestry Committee has been placed in this subseries. William P. Morris served as the secretary of the vestry in the early twentieth century and his correspondence touches on the proposal to replace the church’s pulpit in 1912; the relationship between church funds and money placed in the Old Eagle Legacy Fund; and the closure of Church Road (see 1.d. for more about Church Road). The letters of Accounting Warden Henry P. Conner, Francis R. Wood, and R. Brognard (the latter two were most likely wardens too) were also concerned with the closure of Church Road.

The correspondence of William P. Drake and Rector John Knewstub occurred after the tenure of Morris, Conner, Wood, and Brognard. Drake was secretary of the vestry in the 1950s and his letters date to 1955. He wrote to the congregation about the church expansion and the congregation meeting; these printed, formal letters were most likely widely circulated. Knewstub’s correspondence, which has been placed in this subseries, informed the congregation about parish meetings, Sunday school, a new group therapy program, and money needed for capital improvements. There is also a letter to Knewstub from Charles Caroll Suffren, in which Suffren recollects the circumstances under which Henry Wadsworth Longfellow wrote his poem about St. David’s Church. The general vestry correspondence has been placed here.

Vestry meeting minutes from July 1990 to December 2001 are in Boxs 23 to 25. A copy of the vestry meeting minutes (1894-1990, 2002-2005) is on a CD found in Box 22, except for the folders labeled “secretary’s file.” These papers are most likely more informal minutes for the use of the vestry secretary with his personal notes.

1-7, 23-26

Minute books of the vestry and the congregation of St. David’s Church (1820-1921) 

Box Frame

Item removed from Volume 29 (27 January 1931) 

1 19
Box Folder

Item removed from Volume 30 (20 May 1930) 

1 20

Vestry meeting minutes (1902, 1908, 1943-1956) 

1 21-29

Vestry meeting minutes and financial records (28 March 1921-24 April 1943) 


Vestry meeting minutes, including some secretary files (1957-1990) 


Vestry meeting minutes (1990-2002, 2006) 

Box Box Folder

Vestry meeting minutes (2002-2005) 

6 26 9
Box Folder

Correspondence: John C. Knewstub (September 1953-June 1960) 

7 1

Correspondence: William Paul Morris (secretary) (May 1905-May 1924, undated) 

7 2-3

Correspondence: R. Francis Wood (June 1908-September 1919) 

7 4

Correspondence: Henry Conner (accounting warden) (June 1913-July 1926, undated) 

7 4

Correspondence: R. Brognard Okie (August 1912-July 1926) 

7 6

Correspondence: William P. Drake (secretary) (1955) 

7 7

Correspondence: general vestry (May 1903-July 1966) 

7 8

Vestry rulings about graveyard (1921-1943) 

26 4

Vestries and Vestry nominees (1951-1999) 

26 5-7

Property Commission Proposal and Vestry acceptance of archives handling (4 June 2001) 

26 8

 Subseries c: Other committees (1713-2006) 

Subseries description

Besides the Vestry Committee, there were several other committees that held various roles at St. David’s Church. In this subseries, the oldest records were produced by the Society for Propagating the Gospel in Foreign Parts. There are typed abstracts of meeting minutes that date to the 1700s. They discuss the appointment of Mr. Clubb as the church’s missionary, most likely to Barbados.

The committee of Episcopal Churchwomen was reactivated in 1977 in order to help with the church fair, meals on wheels, and hospital visits. According to the committee records, the members “provide a working background for spiritual growth and leadership among the women of our parish, to aid our Church where we are able, and to minister to the needs of others.”

There are also records relating to the Altar Society and its later incarnation, the Altar Guild. This body oversaw the objects placed on the church’s altar – candles, plates, and linens. The papers include member lists, correspondence thanking people for donations, handbooks, and lists of altar hangings and who they memorialize.

According to its records, the Historical Committee was appointed in 1950 to “preserve the books, records, and relics relating to St. David’s Church.” The materials in this part of the collection relate to the committee’s activities tracing the history of the parish, its grounds, and parishioners; the committee is most likely responsible for the biographical information in the clergy files (see 1.e.). Of note are the 1953 meeting minutes, which mention that the church gave some records (3 record books and a minute book) to the Historical Society of Pennsylvania for safe-keeping. When the committee reformed in the 1980s, the records show that it had begun to organize the church materials and create an archives and a type of collections management system. The members were separating manuscripts, photos, maps, scrapbooks; making inventories for each category, and recording the supplies needed. The members divided themselves into three groups to accomplish their organizational goals – manuscripts, books, and photographs. Martin Snyder was the chairman of the committee in the 1950s and his correspondence dealt with donations of pictures, the preservation of the church, and the history of changes to the building.

The other committees represented in this collection are the Parish Fair, Horticultural, and Parish Council committees. They are mainly meeting minutes and lists of members. The Parish Fair Committee records are rich with information about the planning of the annual event (e.g., expenses for booths, floorplans).

7-8, 26
Box Folder

Society for Propagating the Gospel: minutes [abstracts] (1713-1905) 

7 9

Episcopal Churchwomen: minutes, clippings, and other papers (1977-1982) 

7 10-14

Altar Society: minutes, correspondence, handbooks, and other papers (1937-2001) 

7 15-21

Historical Committee: minutes, reports, and correspondence (1950-1984) 

7 22-23

Correspondence: Martin P. Snyder, including donation to HSP (1952-1966) 

7 24-25

Historical Committee: Philadelphia Open House tours (1985) 

8 1

Parish Fair Committee: minutes, reports, correspondence, and miscellaneous (1948-1982, 1997-2007, undated) 

8 2-8

Parish Council: minutes (May 1954-May 1964) 

8 9

Horticultural society papers (1963, 1975, undated) 

8 10

Annual congregational meeting (1 May 2005) 

8 11

Miscellaneous committees: minutes (21 May 1884-15 August 1955) 

8 12

Annual reports (1996-2006) 

26 10

Preservation Committee (1975, undated) 

26 11

History Commitee and Bicentennial Committee (1951-1987) 

26 12

 Subseries d: Financial and legal (1791-2004) 

Susberies description

The financial records in this collection consist of bills, receipts, fundraising papers, stewardship program papers, budget information and appeal letters. Most of the records are from the twentieth century, but some bills and receipts date to the 1800s. One bill is for “work done on the Radnor church burial ground in 1809.” There is also information about the church’s account with John Brook and his payment for “bushels of limes.” Another set of items reveals that parishioners were not happy with decisions by the church administration regarding use of money from fundraising efforts; some people wrote letters withdrawing from the parish. There are many legacies, which represented money someone gave “to be invested in legal securities” with profits going to the upkeep of their burial plot. There are also records concerning the Old Eagle School Legacy Fund (the church put money in this fund) with financial reports.

The church’s constitution and by-laws; burial plot records; and materials dealing with the closing of Church Road comprise the legal records. The burial plot records include a 1916 deed allowing subdivision of land for burial plots. The church’s articles of incorporation (both original and subsequent copies) are also among the legal records and they offer specific information about the roles of the vestry and rector, administration of the church land, and investments. The majority of legal records discuss the closing of Church Road as early as 1913. Radnor Township decided on July 28, 1916, that the road should be closed because it was burdensome but the church opposed this decision. On August 19, 1916, the rector, church warden, and vestrymen filed for a jury of review in Court of Quarter Sessions in Delaware County stating that the closure would cause “loss, inconvenience, and damage to the people of St. David’s.” In 1919, the courts overturned the decision and opened the road. The appellants’ books from the case are also included.

8-9, 26
Box Folder

Bills and receipts (1806-1815, 1915) 

8 13

Financial statements 1912-1919, 1930-1962, 1988 

8 14-15

Financial Committee resolutions and papers (1912-1919, undated) 

8 16

Papers for fundraising for new chapel (1955-1956) 

8 17

Stewardship program (Fall 1964) 

8 18

Development correspondence (1922, 28 May 1959-8 November 1965) 

8 19

Missionary drive for Uganda: correspondence (25 April 1985-21 May 1986) 

8 20

Correspondence regarding the Old Eagle legacies (1908-1910) 

8 21

Legacies (1913-1918) 

8 22

Budget and other papers (1911, 1959, 1960) 

9 1

Photostats of early audit, 1730, and gallery subscription, 1771 (undated) 

26 13

MIscellaneous financial papers (1930-1974) 

26 14

The Church Foundation (1941) 

26 15

Constitution and by-laws (reprinted) with correspondence (1791, 1955) 

9 2

By-Laws amended (31 january 1955) 

26 16

Articles of incorporation (1791, 1951, 1968) 

9 3

Pennsylvania prothonotary's certification of 1971 articles (copy) (1951) 

26 17

Reinstatment of articles conforming with Pennsylvania nonprofit corporation laws (1968) 

26 18

Articles of incorporation (10 April 1793) 

Box Folder

Parochial reports (1998-2001, 2003) 

26 19

Vacating Church Road: meeting and other papers (1914-1916, 1920, 1945) 

9 4-6

Rector, church warden and vestrymen v. William H. Sayen, et. al. (January 1913) 

9 7

Church self-study and campaign study (1955, undated) 

9 8

Registration of new corporation name [St. David's (Radnor) Church] (1980) 

26 20

Parochial boundaries of diocese of Pennsylvania (undated) 

26 21

Miscellaneous legal papers (1889-1913) 

9 9

 Subseries e:  Clergy files ([1714]-2005) 

Subseries description

The clergy files are folders containing biographical information, articles, family pictures, programs, letters, papers produced by the clergy person, and other papers concerning clergy persons who have served St. David’s Church. These files, arranged alphabetically, were most likely compiled by the Historical Committee in 2002. Each file has a research sheet and biographical information created by historian Francis James Dallett (see Series 2). The facts on the biographical sheets specify the clergy persons’ church position (e.g., temporary rector), birth date, death date, dates at the church, family information, education, and responsibilities at St. David’s. Dating these materials was difficult because many are scans or photocopies. Brackets around a year signify the year the original document was produced, but that the document in the collection is a reproduction. Also included, an article by Dallett, “Griffith Hughes Dissected,” profiles Hughes, a naturalist and missionary to Barbados.

The clergy files are included on the CDs in Boxes 22 and 30.

9, 10, 10A, 27
Box Folder

Chronological and alphabetical lists (circa 2000, 2005, 2007-2008) 

9 10

Allen-Atwater (1976-2002, undated) 

    Box Folder
Mixed materials   9 11
    Box Folder
Mixed materials   27 1-2

Box Folder

Backhouse-Blatz (1954-2003, undated [1746]) 

9 12

Blindenbacher-Butt (1890-1983, undated) 

    Box Folder
Mixed materials   9 13
    Box Folder
Mixed materials   27 3-4

Box Folder

Childs-Clay (1954-2002, undated) 

9 14

Clemson (1898-2001, undated) 

9 15

Clubb-Currie ([1714]-2001, undated) 

    Box Folder
Mixed materials   9 16
    Box Folder
Mixed materials   27 5-10

Box Folder

Davis-Dwyer (1953-1954.1976) 

27 11-12

Evans-Graham (1856-2002, undated) 

9 17

Haag (1998-2002, undated) 

9 18

Halsey ([1867]-1955) 

9 19

Halsey sermon (4 September 1867) 

    Box Folder
Mixed materials   27 13
    Box Folder
Mixed materials   9 20

Box Folder

Harig-Harrity (1997-2005, undated) 

9 21

Hess (1963-2001) 

    Box Folder
Mixed materials   27 14
    Box Folder
Mixed materials   9 22

Box Folder

Hopkins-Howlett (1967-2001) 

9 23

Huff-Humphreys (2000-2001, undated) 

9 24

Hughes (1736, 1952-1955, undated) 

9 25

Jacobson-Keller (circa 1882-2002, undated) 

    Box Folder
Mixed materials   27 15
    Box Folder
Mixed materials   9 26

Box Folder

Kerr (1956-1960) 

27 16-17

Knewstub (1935-2002, undated) 

9 27

Kunz (1961-1963) 

27 18-19

Lamb (1903-2002, undated) 

    Box Folder
Mixed materials   10 1
    Box Folder
Mixed materials   27 20

McBee (1939-2002, undated) 

    Box Folder
Mixed materials   10 2
    Box Folder
Mixed materials   27 21

McClellan-Moore (1976-2005, undated) 

    Box Folder
Mixed materials   10 3
    Box Folder
Mixed materials   27 22-27

Moroney-Peck (1954-2002, undated) 

    Box Folder
Mixed materials   10 4
    Box Folder
Mixed materials   27 28-30

Box Folder

Price (1982) 

27 31

Rees-Smith (1921-2003, undated) 

    Box Folder
Mixed materials   10 5
    Box Folder
Mixed materials   27 32

Spears-Woodward (1954-2002, undated) 

    Box Folder
Mixed materials   27 33-39
    Box Folder
Mixed materials   10 6

Box Folder

Zavadil (1954-1955) 

27 40

 Subseries f:  Miscellaneous (1871-2008, undated) 

Subseries description

The records in this subseries mainly include various inventories and donation lists. People purchased many items for the church, such as linens, candles, and communion plates. There is also information about appraisals done by Samuel T. Freeman and Company. The vestry room was inventoried around 1975 and that list is among these papers. There is correspondence between Rev. Richard Hess and Richard DuPont regarding the history the “DuPont Chair,” which was donated to the church. A list of the records the church donated to the Historical Society of Pennsylvania in the 1950s is among these materials.

There is also a group of records concerning the vestry room and architecture projects. Correspondence between Henry Pleasants and Joseph Sharp discussing the vestry room addition dates to 1871 (letter is a scan of the original). Then a letter from 1874 mentions the construction of a walkway on the church grounds. Also included are an 1893 article protesting architectural changes accompanied by the architect’s specifications, a timeline tracing architectural changes to the church and graveyard between 1700 and 1993, and several large sketches and blueprints.

In 1940, George Harrison, treasurer of the Philadelphia Branch of the American-English Ambulance Corps, wrote to Reverand Crosswell McBee urging him to donate to the war effort after he had said it was not the church’s “affair.” The church gave the corps $1350 on October 3, 1940, for which there is an acknowledgement, newspaper picture, and two photographs.

The other items in this subseries include burial lot plans, gravestone rubbings, and a lecture penned by an unknown author titled “On Atonements,” with a written reflection on the lecture.

The donation and inventory information can be found on CD in Box 22.

10, 16, 27
Box Folder

Correspondence (1890-1950, undated) 

10 7-8

Correspondence regarding vestry room addition [original and copy] (March-April 1871) 

10 9

Papers regarding redesign of new chapel (2003-2004) 

10 10

Architectural papers (1874-2003, undated) 

10 11-12

Architectural papers (27 January 1925) 

16 29

Blueprints for colonial Lich gate with letter (September 1900-July 1901) 


Blueprints (1924-1950) 


Church manuscripts: lists, locations, and correspondence concerning donations to the Historical Society of Pennsylvania (1933-2001, undated) 

    Box Folder
Mixed materials   27 41-45
    Box Folder
Mixed materials   10 13

Box Folder

Spillard's "Archive Plan" (2008) 

27 46

Correspondence related to ending Montgomery's turn as archivist (2008) 

27 47

List of memorials [donations] (October 1953, 1979) 

10 14

Church inventories (1975, 1984, undated) 

10 15

Richard Dupont chair donation: correspondence and picture (1979) 

10 16

Inventory and appraisement (December 1971) 

10 17

Book donations to the church (undated) 

10 17

Church donation to British-American Ambulance Corps (August-December 1940) 

10 19

James Davis of Hawaii genealogical research (2002) 

27 48

Warren von Uffel correspondence inconsistencies in Pleasants 1906 and 1915 burial records (2002) 

27 49

Burial lot papers (1912) 

10 20

Burial lot plans (1864) 


Gravestone rubbings (and copies) (undated) 


Return to Table of Contents »

 Series 2: Parish history (circa 1740-2008, undated) 

Series description

other miscellaneous items dealing with the past events of the parish, its establishment, and its place in the history of Pennsylvania. Much of the parish history materials consists of the research and writings of University of Pennsylvania archivist Francis James Dallett and Henry Pleasants. Another copy of Dallett’s article “Griffith Hughes Dissected” has been placed here as well as his correspondence. Dallett corresponded with Reverend Hess of St. David’s in the 1970s about his research into the parish’s history. Dallett was also interested in Longfellow’s connection to St. David’s and he wrote to Andrew Hilen, a professor at the University of Washington, who sent Dallett copies of Longfellow letters that were in his possession. Also among Dallett’s papers is research into Longfellow and General Anthony Wayne, who was a member of the parish. There are typed transcriptions of Longfellow correspondence (Box 10 Folder 25). “The Beginning of the Church” was a thesis written by William Hershey in 1964 and the copy in this collection has corrections written by an unknown person.

A scan of an Anthony Wayne letter was a gift to the church. In the letter, Wayne tells Wilkinson, who is at Fort Jefferson, about the state of affairs with several Native American tribes. Wayne writes that a white man living among the Indians (captured at one point) told him that British agents were dissuading the Indians from peace talks and were giving them arms as long as they continued to fight the Americans.

Materials dealing with various parish anniversaries have been placed in this series, because they often include historical sketches of the church. There are programs, articles, and an address delivered by Samuel Pennypacker profiling the church at the 200th anniversary in 1915. In 1976, the church organized a special tour of St. David’s in commemoration of the nation’s bicentennial. The tour guide book contains a lot of information about the history of the parish in order to aid the people conducting the tours. The 300th anniversary of the parish was noted by the 106th Congress on September 28, 2000 (Box 16 Folder 30). The House of Representatives declared March 1st “St. David’s Day” in honor of Welsh Americans (Box 16 Folder 31).

The church’s application for Pennsylvania’s Register of Historic Sites and Landmarks was resubmitted in 1977 and has been placed here because Dallett was involved in the application. Two other items that are loosely connected to parish history and can be found in this series are George Robison’s music and vocals book and a lecture titled “On Atonements” by an unknown author. The music and vocals book consists of short odes written for several towns in the United Kingdom. These two objects have been placed with the parish history items due to their age – the book is from 1785 and the lecture is from some time between 1740 and 1835.

Copies of the anniversary papers can be found on CD in Boxes 22 and 30.

10-11, 16, 27-28
Box Folder

“On Atonements” (circa 1740-1835) 

10 21

Church histories by Henry Pleasants (circa 1915) 

10 22

Henry Pleasants miscellaneous papers (1859-1922, undated) 

27 50

Francis James Dallett correspondence (1970-1979, undated) 

10 23

Dallett research (circa 1970-circa 1984, undated) 

10A 1

Dallett’s Longfellow research ([1876-1886], circa 1949) 

10A 2

Dallett files on Preservation Trust Commitee (1950-1985) 

27 51-52

“Griffith Hughes Dissected” by Francis James Dallet (November 1955) 

10A 3

Correspondence, General Anthony Wayne to General Wilkinson (scan), 14 March 1794 (undated) 

10A 4

Historical sketches (circa 1875, 1898) 

10A 5

"Old Welsh Church of St. David’s, Radnor in Delaware County, Pa." (1905) 

10A 6

Published writings about St. David’s Church and a church timeline (1923-1929) 

10A 7

Parish profile (1997) 

10A 8

Notes and revisions (1954-2001, undated) 

10A 9

“The Beginning of a Church” by William E. Hershey (with notes) (1964) 

11 1

Reverend George A. Keller notes (undated) 

11 2

Burial ground vandalism papers (April 1937) 

11 3

Parish anniversaries: programs and papers (1915-1966, undated)  

11 4

Parish anniversaries: correspondence (September 1914-January 1915, September 1965, undated) 

11 5

200th Anniversary: Samuel W. Pennypacker address (4 September 1915) 

11 6

300th Anniversary: Tom Ridge, Arlen Specter congressional recognition 2000 

    Box Folder
Mixed materials   16 30-31
    Box Folder
Mixed materials   11 7-8

Box Folder

House of Representatives resolution announcing "St. David’s Day" (1 March 1988) 

16 32

Bicentennial study session study papers (1975-1976) 

11 9

Notebook for bicentennial tour guides (1976) 

11 10-12

Certificate designating St. David’s an official Delaware County bicentennial site (3 May 1975) 

16 33

Application for Pennsylvania Register of Historic Sites and Landmarks (1977) 

11 13

Historic Trust papers (1979-2005) 

28 1

The History of Old St. David’s Church, Radnor, in Delaware County, Pennsylvania with a Complete Alphabetical List of Wardens and Vestrymen, and of Interments in the Graveyard, 1700-1906 (1907) 


George Robison vocals and music book (May 1785) 

Box Folder

Letter regarding new organ (1905) 

28 2

Printed histories and brochures (1948, undated) 

11 14

William and Williamina Moore, anonymous (undated) 

28 3

Photocopy of 1724 "Queeries" from Bishop of London to the Reverend Robert Weyman (undated) 

28 4

Inventory of Church memorials by Eagleson (2002) 

28 5

Pre-1957 map of directions to St. David's (undated) 

28 6

Loose pages from "Guide's Book," with inventory of Vestry Room, with additions (1957-1988, undated) 

28 7-8

"Civil War Veterans buried at St. David's" by William Stroud (October 2000) 

28 9

New chapel construction and dedication (2004-2008) 

28 10-11

Background of 1957 Addis Chapel, including 1961 instrument donation (1955, 1961, undated) 

28 12

"Secretary's files relating to historical material" (1977-1980, undated) 

28 13

Return to Table of Contents »

 Series 3:  Sermons of Rev. Thomas G. Clemson (1821-2001, undated) 

Series description

The sermons of Reverend Thomas G. Clemson, who was the rector of St. David’s Church from 1861 to 1866, represent some of the oldest materials in this collection. Most of the sermons were written between 1859 and 1872. Each sermon is a little hand-written pamphlet and the date reflects the year the sermon was first delivered (subsequent years are often listed on the sermon). The sermons also have various locations listed on them, most likely referring to the placed where the sermons were delivered. The following Pennsylvania and New York locations are mentioned: Radnor, Holmesburg, Claymont, Port Kennedy, Amsterdam, Potsdam, Morristown, Clyde, and Aurora.

The sermons are numbered 1 to 255 with some miscellaneous Lenten sermons at the end. Each sermon begins with a scripture passage and often has a title. Some titles include: “The Intellectual Difference From the Spiritual,” “The Study of the Bible,” “Mercy and Not Sacrifice,” “The True Philosophy of Religion,” “Good and Bad Foundations,” and “Missions: The Necessity of the Missions and the Glory of the Work.”

1980s correspondence discussing the donation of the sermons has been placed with them. Eleanor Smith gave the sermons to Reverend Hess and the historical committee in 1983, and then John L. Montgomery, who was in charge of the church’s archives, corresponded with the American Philosophical Society in 2001 to see what Clemson materials could be found there.

There are sermons that require further conservation in Box 21 and are not available to researchers until the conservation is completed. They do not appear to be part of the sequence of sermons 1 to 255.

11-15, 21
Box Folder

Sermons 1-21 (1859-1860) 

11 15-21

Sermons 22-69 (1860-1861) 

12 1-16

Sermons 70-126 (1861-1864) 

13 1-19

Sermons 127-192 (1864-1866) 

14 1-22

Sermons 193-255 (1866-1872) 

15 1-21

Lecture for Lent (April 1867) 

15 22

Sermon (April 1881) 

15 23

Sermons (1821-1824, undated) 

Conditions Governing Use note

Due to their poor condition, the sermons in Box 22 are closed to researchers until further notice.

Box Folder

Miscellaneous sermons (undated) 

15 24

Correspondence regarding sermons (1983-2001, undated) 

15 25

Return to Table of Contents »

 Series 4:  Printed materials and images (circa 1811-2008, undated) 

Series description

There is a large number of pictures in this collection and they range in date, with many lacking dates. There are many shots of the church (especially the exterior), the graveyard, and the grounds. There are also several pictures of church doorways and the altar. If no date was noted, someone often tried to pinpoint the year by observing the different architectural features present in the photograph. For example, one picture dates to before 1811 because it is “without the Wayne monument.” Many pictures have been scanned and these scans accompany the original picture, photograph, engraving, or postcard. The more recent pictures show architectural projects for Harrison Memorial Parish House and chapel in 2002. There are also scanned photographs from the parish fairs and choir trip that have been printed out. The pictures that are on CD in Box 22 have been printed out as well and placed in Box 16 (the files are numbered 1-94); the originals can be found throughout the collection. Most of the pictures on the CD have a caption describing the scanned picture, photograph, or postcard.

John Montgomery scanned a photo album belonging to his uncle Edward Halsey. Montgomery stated that the pictures depict “Uncle Ned’s Wayne” and wrote a biography of his uncle that accompanies the pictures. Francis James Dallett compiled pictures and articles with information dating to the nineteenth century into a scrapbook in 1978 (Volume 34).

The printed materials in this last series mainly consist of the St. David’s Church bulletin. This publication was originally titled The Record, then  The Newsletter from 1969 to 1975, and  The Dove after 1975. Originally issued on a quarterly basis and then more frequently after the 1950s, the bulletin announced events, updates on construction, deaths, baptisms, weddings, communicants, activities of the different social groups, and the church fair. The first issue of  The Dove mentions the origins of the name: the legend of St. David says he was giving a speech, having been known as a great orator, and the ground below him raised and a dove perched on his shoulder.

A separate publication, Mission and Ministry, showcased the ways in which parishioners could be involved at the church and highlights the work of different church groups (e.g., Fellowship Commission, Christian Education Commission, Youth Commission, Worship Commission, St. David’s Supper Club). It seems to have been released annually.

In 1978, the Women’s Auxiliary of St. David’s Church compiled A Cookbook for All Seasons with recipes from parishioners.

The ephemera consist of scans of flyers and The Dove articles relating to the church fair and auction art show, anniversary, and Christmas pageant articles. Other items in this series include a poster for an art exhibition and sale, a few articles about Anthony Wayne’s gravesite, three copies of the seal for the Society for Propagating the Gospel in Foreign Parts, and some church stationery.

Most of the images depicting the church and grounds and parish events, the postcards, and issues of The Record and  The Dove until 2005 are represented on CDs in Boxes 22 and 30.

The CDs in Boxes 22 and 30 contain scans of material that have been or will be delivered to the Historical Society of Pennsylvania and cover the contents of twenty-five of St. David’s library albums of archival material. Additional research material has been added and updated by the donor. The majority of the material on the CDs is the images and publications found elsewhere in this series.

16-22, 30

Scrapbook (1978) 

Box Folder

Church with General Wayne Monument, engraving by Cornelius Tiebout (circa 1812) 

16 1

Constant Guillou photograph of church (1860) 

16 2

Interior and exterior photographs of the church (circa 1880-1910, 1952, undated) 

16 3-8

Harrison Memorial Parish House photographs (October 2002) 

    Box Folder
Mixed materials   28 14
    Box Folder
Mixed materials   16 9

Box Folder

Chapel photographs (October 2002) 

16 10

Henry Pleasants at the Camp in Valley Forge (undated) 

16 11

Edward Halsey photo album (scanned) (circa 1890) 

16 12

Scanned pictures from the CD (files 1-94) (1829-1947, 1950-2001, undated) 

16 13-14

Church without General Wayne Monument, engraving (pre-1811) 

16 15

“An After Meeting in the Sixties” (photo) (circa 1860s) 

16 16

Photographs of church exterior (circa 1880, circa 1890, late nineteenth century) 

16 17-19

Snapshots of church (1985) 

28 15

Photographs from "St. Davidsong," including music (1990) 

28 16

Photographs of St. David’s cross (undated) 

16 20

Photograph of church doorway (undated) 

16 21

C.S. Bradford photographs of church exterior, graveyard, interior and altar (undated) 

16 22-25

Church engraving by John Dalziel and A.H. Markley (1884) 

16 26

View of the church [pencil sketch] (undated) 

Box Folder

Mixed prints and images of St. David's (circa 1880s-2002, undated) 

28 17

Church stationery image (1947) 

17 1

Seal for Society for Propagating the Gospel in Foreign Parts [3 copies] (undated) 

17 2

"Four Timely Questions," address delivered at St. David's by George Wharton Pepper (1949) 

29 1

Choir trip to Wells, England: itinerary with photos (July 2004) 

17 3

Youth ministry calendars, "Can You Dyg It" flyers and news (2004-2005) 

29 2

Church fair and country auction pictures, articles, and ephemera [some scanned] (1950-1961, 1990-2005) 

17 4-7

Art show programs, articles, and pictures (2002-2003) 

17 8

Anniversary programs, announcements, and articles (1908-1965) 

17 9-10

Christmas pageant articles (1949, 1978, 1984, 2000-2002, 2004) 

17 11

Music at St. David’s: programs, articles, and announcements (1952, 2003-2006) 

17 12

Newspaper clippings, including those regarding Anthony Wayne’s grave (May-September 1894, 1880-1968, 1982) 

17 13-15

Newspaper articles and clippings, including those on nativity scene, the Welsh in Pennsylvania, anniversairies, and "St. Davidsong" (1949, 1976, 1990-1991P 

29 3-6

Miscellaneous printed items (1919-2003, undated) 

    Box Folder
Mixed materials   29 7
    Box Folder
Mixed materials   17 16


Juried Art Exhibition and Sale poster (circa April 2002) 

Box Folder

A Cookbook for All Seasons (1978) 

17 17

Calendars (2004-2008) 

29 8

Mission and Ministry (1998-2004) 

    Box Folder
Mixed materials   29 8-9
    Box Folder
Mixed materials   17 18-21

Box Folder

The Record (1920-1969) 

18 1-19

Newsletter (June 1969-September 1975) 

19 1-4

The Dove (October 1975-2007) 

    Box Folder
Mixed materials   20 1-12
    Box Folder
Mixed materials   19 5-12
    Box Folder
Mixed materials   29 10-14

Box Folder

Correspondence about William Davis/Davies and the log cabin, with Beale's Genealogy of David Jones, 1903 (copy) (2002, undated) 

29 15

"Contents" of Binders 1-73, A-F (2008) 

29 16
Box Box Folder

St. David’s Church records on CD, 1714-2006, n.d. (2001-2006) 

22, 30 29 17

Return to Table of Contents »