James D. B. Weiss, Jr. collection of hospital and miscellaneous genealogical records


Collection 3659

( Bulk, 1851-1914 ) 1845-1979
(1.8 Linear feet ; 6 boxes, 1 volume)

Summary Information

Repository
The Historical Society of Pennsylvania
Creator
Hospital of the Protestant Episcopal Church in Philadelphia.
Creator
St. Mary's Hospital of Philadelphia.
Creator
Stoehr family.
Title
James D. B. Weiss, Jr. collection of hospital and miscellaneous genealogical records
ID
3659
Date [bulk]
Bulk, 1851-1914
Date [inclusive]
1845-1979
Extent
1.8 Linear feet ; 6 boxes, 1 volume
Author
Finding aid prepared by Cary Hutto.
Sponsor
Processing made possible by a generous donation from Dan and Donnamarie Dailey.
Language
English

Preferred citation

Cite as: [Indicate cited item or series here], James D. B. Weiss Jr. collection of hospital and miscellaneous genealogical records (Collection 3659), The Historical Society of Pennsylvania.

Return to Table of Contents »


Abstract

The first meeting of the founders of the Hospital of the Protestant Episcopal Church occurred in March 1851, though it would be some time before the hospital was unveiled. In March 1852, the members were given the former estate of John Leamy, Esq., which they suitably converted. The Hospital of the Protestant Episcopal Church (also known as the Protestant Episcopal Church Hospital) officially opened to the public in December 1852. Records in the collection from the Hospital of the Protestant Episcopal Church are primarily annual reports (also titled "Reports to the Board of Managers") dating from the 1850s to 1914. Some years are missing, so please see Boxes 2-5 in the collection inventory. Box 2, Folder 1 contains a copy of the hospital's charter and by-laws from 1851.

St. Mary's Hospital was founded in 1860 by the Order of the Sisters of St. Francis, who wished to assist the sick poor of Kensington. It was first located on the northeast corner of 4th Street and Girard Avenue; but in 1866, the hospital moved to the corner of the Frankford Road and Palmer Street. The hospital was very successful -- almost 16,000 patients had passed through its doors by the mid 1860s. The facility still stands and is today known as the Neumann Medical Center. This collection contains two items from St. Mary's: a patient register from the early to mid 20th century (Box 6) and a daybook dating from the mid 1880s to mid 1890s (Volume 1). Please note that the patient register, because it contains sensitive 20th century records, is closed to researchers until 21 January 2021.

In addition to these hospital records, the Weiss collection contains a single folder (Box 1, Folder 1) of miscellaneous genealogical papers pertaining primarily to the Stoehr family of Philadelphia.

Return to Table of Contents »


Administrative Information

Publication Information

 The Historical Society of Pennsylvania ; 2012

1300 Locust Street
Philadelphia, PA, 19107
215-732-6200

Revision Description

 This collection originally contained records of the Palmer Cemetery, which have been separated into a new collection titled Palmer Cemetery records (Collection 3742). March 2014

Restrictions

The collection is open for research except for the patient's register (Box 6), which is closed to researchers until January 1, 2021, due to the sensitive nature of the records.

Volume 1 may become temporarily unavailable as it receives repairs. Please contact the library for updates on this material.

Provenance

Gift of James D. B. Weiss Jr., 2011.

Accession number 2011.054.

Return to Table of Contents »


Related Materials

Related materials

At the Historical Society of Pennsylvania:

Kensington papers (Collection 2148)

Kensington (Philadelphia, Pa.) indenture 1765 (Am .30950)

Kensington records, deeds, and surveys (Collection 340)

Kensington Soup Society records (Collection 3119)

Return to Table of Contents »


Controlled Access Headings

Personal Name(s)

  • Weiss, James D. B., Jr.

Subject(s)

  • Hospitals--Pennsylvania--Philadelphia.
  • Philadelphia (Pa.)--Hospitals--19th century.

Return to Table of Contents »


Bibliography

Milano, Kenneth W. Remembering Kensington & Fishtown. Charleston, SC: The History Press, 2008. (call number F 158.68 .K46 M55 2008)

Return to Table of Contents »


Collection Inventory

Box

Stoehr family - Assorted family documents 1845-1979, undated 

1

Return to Table of Contents »


Box Folder

Hospital of the Protestant Episcopal Church - Charter and By-Laws 1851 

2 1

Return to Table of Contents »


Box

Hospital of the Protestant Episcopal Church - Annual reports 1853-1872 

2

Return to Table of Contents »


Hospital of the Protestant Episcopal Church - Annual reports 1873-1891 

3

Return to Table of Contents »


Hospital of the Protestant Episcopal Church - Annual reports 1892-1898, 1900, 1902-1904, 1906-1907 

4

Return to Table of Contents »


Hospital of the Protestant Episcopal Church - Annual reports 1912-1914 

5

Return to Table of Contents »


Volume

St. Mary's Hospital - Daybook 1885-1895 

1

Return to Table of Contents »


Box

St. Mary's Hospital - Patient's register 1932-1946  

Restrictions

Due to the sensitive nature of these records, this box is closed to researchers until January 1, 2021.

6

Return to Table of Contents »